Sunday, June 9, 2013

Msg @ The Rock Sun., June 9th by Jon Woolner


www.Rock-church.com

Philippians 4:10-14 NIV
I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. [11] I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. [12] I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. [13] I can do all this through him who gives me strength. [14] Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles.

Msg on being content. Being thankful.
Jon talked about how those ideas are an issue. How you're thinking. When things are dark, what do you do? Practicing those disciplines aren't easy... Paul says that he found the art of contentment.
Some people say they are where in reality they're lazy & indifferent.
Paul says he 'learned it'... How to arrive @ connectedness...
Contentment & joy coexist...

Things that happened to Paul after he follows Jesus...
He has to leave his family..
He has to leave his position in his religion & culture..
He had to walk away from his security, his future
Then had to deal w conflict.. w early church. Like people changing his msg.
Went to jail.
He learned the secret to be content.

A story about someone in 1809...
A woman named Zold... Was rejected by a suitor, then never married. She started a ministry to house Jewish children after the Nazi occupation. Her tombstone said, "Mother to Thousands"

Back to Paul:
Acts 26:14 NIV
We all fell to the ground, and I heard a voice saying to me in Aramaic, 'Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.'

If we keep seeing a 'goad' ... We should pay attention to them... It may be painful, but if we're bumping in to it, maybe its necessary.

Do we get stuck in our heads w the "if onlies"..
One thing about Paul's teaching: he never talks about an escape clause..

You're gonna feel 'lack'.. it's ok. Yer gonna make mistakes..
Paul tells his view of things...
Sharing in the suffering of Jesus.. to die is gain.. the lens of Jesus.. it's ok to lose everything for Christ's sake.
Paul has learned to tell his story through a different lens.
We can look down @ the mud on our feet or up to the miracles around us.



1 comment:

Thanx for the comment! Good or bad, I wanna' hear it all!
-M@tch